I Know My God
Designed by : Nyuso Book Press Team.
(Contemporary Poetry)
I had a chat with the devil and I told him,
I won’t sell my soul to you, I am Insured.
I know He, who lifts me up when I fall.
He came with sweet talk,
With golden promises,
With shortcuts
and maps to every empty throne.
He said, “Poet, your nation is doomed,
your people are hungry,
sell me that restless spirit
and I will make the streets remember your name.”
I looked him in the eye,
the same eyes that watch young men
graduate into joblessness,
the same whisper that tells mothers
to bury hope before the coffin arrives.
I told him again—
I won’t sell my soul to you.
I am covered.
Covered by the blood that never runs dry,
covered by the voice that still calls me son
even when the nation calls me nothing.
When the ground opens
and my knees kiss the dust,
My Lord lifts me up.
He does not ask for a receipt.
He does not demand the deed to my spirit.
Devil, keep your contracts.
Keep your temporary crowns
and your loud empty victories.
I have seen enough young blood
sold for less than a loaf.
I have watched enough dreams
mortgaged to silence.
Not this one.
Not this tired heart.
So I walk on,
sometimes limping,
sometimes laughing through the ache,
because every time I fall—
and I do fall—
My Lord lifts me up.
Again.
And again.
And again.
I am covered.
Tell hell I said so.
© George William Ochago
@George The Tired Poet πΊπ¬
#PoeticSundays.
October 4th, 2026.
3:50am.
Comments
Post a Comment