Nothing To Smile About

📷 Cool Simon Photography. 
Model: George The Tired Poet 
(My Liberation Verses).
Rest In Peace Papa,
I am sorry I messed up, 
But I have come here 
To tell you a story.

Yesterday, a whiteman came my way.
He said he was from Norway.
He asked me dozens of Stupid Questions,
Because he found me sad,
He said, "Why is every Ugandan wearing a long face?".

I told him, "there is nothing to smile about.
Come and take a walk with me".
Stupid as he was, he came and I took him everywhere. 

I took him to the streets, showed him the 'street kids'
As the world calls them.
I asked him, "Is there any thing to smile about?".
He said, No.

I took him to the hospital,
Showed him every unit,
I again asked him, "Is there any thing to smile about?"
He said, "No".

I took him around the roads,
And asked him, "Is there anything to smile about?"
The fool said No.

Daddy,  I am sorry. 
I took him home.
I showed him Mom and my little siblings. 
I told him, "Look at those orphans and widow, their father and husband was killed.
He was killed trying to save everything I have showed.
From the street kids to the widows. Is there anything to smile about?"
He cried.

I told him, "We are not done yet",
And I brought him here,
Dad I am sorry, I failed you.
I showed him your grave and told him, you are my father. 
I told him, "Sometimes when you find us wearing long faces, mind your touring and go back to your country".
He cried like a baby and left me here.

I am sorry Daddy, 
Today I saw him at home,
He brought food and told Mom, 
He has saved all the kids on the streets. 
I know it was my role to save them.
I am sorry I have failed you.

© George William Ochago. 
@George The Tired Poet. 
First Recited On Stage Offhead In 2021.
Written In 2023.
(Uganda)
#poeticsundays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHEN A MAN CRIES.

Karamoja Lives Matter

POEM 604.